Monday, February 20, 2012

Analyzing Draymond Green

With Michigan State's high profile and very strong schedule, they happen to be on ESPN and its networks a lot, so this season, I've seen more Michigan State games than I ever thought I would so far. Just about every time I watch the Spartans, I come away thinking the same thing: senior forward Draymond Green is really good.

The physical things about him are easy to like. He's a big brute inside, has a nice jump shot, exceptional passing, and has decent range, as he can hit the three pointer when necessary. This season alone, he's averaging a double double and is clearly Michigan State's best player.

But what I think I like most about him is his high basketball IQ and his leadership on the floor. The guy seems to know defenses better than they know themselves, and every moment that he is on the floor, he's barking directions to younger players, getting them in position, picking them up when they need it, and basically being a coach when he plays. Green is one of those players that's absolutely invaluable to a team, as he's not only a physically gifted player, but a mentally savvy one as well.

I was reading the other day that Green is projected as a late second round pick by many draft experts, and some don't even see him getting drafted. I just refuse to believe that there is no team out there that can't benefit from a smart player like Green. The guy hasn't had injury problems aside from a scare every now and again, has improved his skill set every season, plays in the Big 10 against future NBA stars every game, has played for Tom Izzo, one of the best coaching minds out there, and is one of the smartest basketball players in the country. If this guy isn't a first round pick, who is?

I think this next month will be big for Green for his future. This is the time where college basketball begins to head to the forefront of sports, and if he can have a big month, particularly on the big stage of the NCAA Tournament, I think we'll certainly be seeing Draymond Green wearing an NBA jersey soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment